Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The End of the World

I'm pretty sure it was Kohlberg's stages of moral development that explained that there are certain actualization's that we go through as an adult. I think this same theory stated that most people would not reach stage 7 which basically is a level of development equal to Buddha or Jesus.. Complete Altruism.





Through this theory you can then explain criminal behavior by saying that certain adults never completely developed morally.. they stopped at a level most adults surpassed.

The only reason I bring this up is because I feel that I can recently say I've reached a new level since the 2008 elections. The person I was back in 2008 was more politically involved and idealistic, and cared a great deal without how elections turned out. Yesterday, while I payed greater attention to the election coverage than I have before, as far as the results went it really didn't affect me either way. Which really says something about who I've been for the last 6 years. Even though I cared a great deal about who won in the 2004,06.08 elections or at least appeared too, I didn't really watch that much coverage. I see the hypocrisy there but at least I am honest about it.

I also voted smarter too, I wasn't just straight ticket this time, I voted for someone in every category except one. Sorry Reform Party. I also voted in the primary which is something I've never done either. This was also my first mid-term election to vote in, I kind of dropped the ball in 2006. Again there seems to be a hipocrysy here I will get to in a bit


And I'm glad that version of me went out on a note, 2008 was a year to celebrate. It was a pretty good way for a young radical, idealistic, Daniel to go out.





So where does that lead me now. I guess that would put me at about a stage 6 in Kholbergs heirarchy, I've been able to symapthize with the other side. I'm not as angry as I was in 2004, but I wouldnt say I'm another jaded left leaning "my vote doesnt count" Kansan. While where I am at I am not completly closed off to the idea that one day Kansas might break it's 78 year streak of Republican Senators. I know things change and if they change for what I percieve to be better than good.



I would say I am a more realistic voter, meaning pretty much my predictions are more accurate. I know when my vote counts and when it does not. For example, this year I was more passionate really mad about a small County Commision seat rather than the 4th Congressional District, because I knew I could help change that.



The funny thing about noticing change in yourself is that you notice that other people haven't changed. I had a friend that voted for Nader in 2008, I thought it was stupid and wasting a vote. "Why wouldn't you want to vote for the first black president?" I would ask. Sure he was probably just being a contrarian or maybe he's like the person or maybe he generally saw through the bullshit and figured that was well invested vote.



So this year, I saw a lot of people REALLY upset about the House turning back over. A lot of these people were my age and older. The funny thing about it too, like the Daniel that would of been pissed off about last night. I know for certain a lot of the people posting fervent Facebook status updates probably weren't watching CNN for 4 hours, I know this because alot of those people can't afford cable. So like the person I was in 2004 these people are more focused on being outraged rather than learning why it happend. I just realize now that this is the whole purpose of closure. The better we understand something the less upset we are about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment